Monte Cristallo, Auronzo di Cadore, Italy
The Alpine Club
Since its foundation in 1857, there have always been members of the Alpine Club who have carried sketchbooks into the mountains, keeping a record of their endeavours and the peaks they climbed. Following its move to Savile Row, the Alpine Club began to hold exhibitions, and an art collection was formed. With the subsequent move to South Audley Street, members' exhibitions continued, alongside shows of mountain paintings by other dealers and galleries. Since 1991, the Alpine Club has been based at Charlotte Road in Shoreditch, and the collection now numbers around 600 paintings, many of them gifts or donations to the club.
The Alpine Club’s collection is of considerable artistic and historical importance; it includes work by E. T. Compton, Albert Gos, Gabriel Loppé, Colin Bent Phillip, John Ruskin, T. Howard Somervell and Elijah Walton. There is also a growing collection of work by contemporary artists, including Julian Cooper and Neil Pittaway. Everest pioneer Dr Charles Warren donated four watercolours by John Ruskin and left a further three to the Club in his Will. There is also a substantial holding of watercolours and pastels of Everest made by the surgeon and mountaineer Dr Howard Somervell (1880–1975). Works from the collection have travelled widely to UK galleries and museums, including Tate Britain and Abbot Hall Gallery, Kendal, and to venues in Berlin, Madrid, Grenoble and Turin.
The Alpine Club Collection:
55/56 Charlotte Road Hackney, London, Greater London EC2A 3QF England
020 7613 0745
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit