Wester Moy, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
The Council for the Preservation of Rural England (CPRE) was established in 1926. The Council saw itself as the guardian of the countryside, campaigning against threats to it. The CPRE had constituent and affiliated bodies, as well as county and local branches throughout England.
In 1969 the name of the Council was changed to The Council for the Protection of Rural England to reflect a change in approach to its activities.
In 2003 the name of the Council was again changed to The Campaign to Protect Rural England, aiming to promote the beauty, tranquillity and diversity of rural England by encouraging the sustainable use of land and other natural resources in town and county.
The archive contains minute books, annual reports, administrative records, publications, maps, exhibition and promotional material, watercolours, press cuttings and photographic records, and is split across four deposits.