Dalkey Castle, Dalkey, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Attributed name George Henry Hutton
This drawing s dated 1783, and although not signed by the artist, it is likely that this was one of Hutton's own drawings. There are several views of Gowrie House in the Hutton Collection, most of which date from this period. In the late eighteenth century, Gowrie House was in use as a military barracks, and several of the Hutton Collection from this period contain evidence of this. In the drawing shown here, a sentry box stands in the courtyard to the right of centre, and what may be ammunition boxes are piled against a wall beyond the sentry box. The house was became a barracks after it had been sold by the Duke of Cumberland, to whom it was gifted by Perth Burgh Council during the Jacobite Rising of 1745-6. Gowrie House was demolished in 1809.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Perthshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]