St Duthus Collegiate Church, Tain, Scotland
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
This sheet contains detailed drawings of the east and west elevations of St Duthac's Collegiate Church, which were drawn by James Shand. Shand was responsible for two ground-plans and a number of architectural drawings of this site in the Hutton Collection. The drawings on this page were made on September 20th, 1815. Shand's drawings appear to show two doors in each of the two facades, leading to different levels in the church. Quite unusually for a medieval foundation, the main entrance to St Duthac's is towards the south. St Duthac's was built in 1360, and in ecclesiastical buildings of that age it was more common for the entrance to be at the west end of the church or chapel, opposite the altar, which Mosaic law dictated should be built in the east.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Ross-shire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.