St Duthus Collegiate Church, Tain, Scotland
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
This drawing is dated September 25th, 1819, but is unsigned by the artist. The drawing could be the work of James Shand, who was responsible for several views of St Duthac's Collegiate Church in the Hutton Collection, but is it is more likely to be the work of George Henry Hutton himself. St Duthac's Collegiate Church, which was built in 1360, is the most modern of three buildings dedicated to St Duthac in the Ross-shire town of Tain, where Duthac or Duthus is reputed to have been born about 1000. The earliest is a small twelfth-century chapel a few yards south-east the church, which has been derelict since being damaged by fire in 1427. In the north of the town, on a knoll overlooking the Dornoch Firth, is another chapel which was reputedly built to house the relics of St Duthac when they were returned to the town from Ireland, about 1253. These are the three oldest surviving buildings in Tain, although only the collegiate church remains intact.
Additional Makers: attributed name- George Henry Hutton (-1827)
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Ross-shire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.