St. Mary the Virgin Church, Halkyn, Clwyd, Wales
Drawing of North and east sides of a pillar at Deadrig, Berwickshire. It is dated 1785 but is unsigned by the artist. A later hand has added a note, which reads 'AND E Sides'. This is one of two views of the pillar at Deadrig, both apparently by the same hand. The designs carved on this pillar suggest that it is a memorial to someone. On the side most clearly drawn, directly beneath the cross at the head of the pillar, there is an image of a man, with arms crossed over his chest in the manner of someone who at rest. Beneath this, there is a picture of an animal, perhaps a hunting dog, maybe buried with its master.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 1] > Berwickshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]