Courtesy of National Library of Scotland | Licence: CC BY 4.0
Courtesy of National Library of Scotland | Licence: CC BY 4.0

39b - Elgin Cathedral

Date

1800

Artist

Attributed name: George Henry Hutton

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

This is a sketch of the exterior of the west end of Elgin Cathedral, Moray, 'from a slight sketch by the Reverend J. Cordiner’. Hutton himself probably copied the sketch from James Cordiner’s original. There are another four drawings of Elgin Cathedral in the Hutton Collection. During its prime, the cathedral at Elgin was the second largest in Scotland, after St Andrews. Its nickname is the 'Lantern of the North'. The cathedral's west front is a fine example of sixteenth-century ecclesiastical architecture, and Hutton's collection of ecclesiastical drawings would not be complete without it. Elgin Cathedral fell into disuse after the Reformation.

Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 1] > Elginshire (Moray)

More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.

Image Licence

Image Credit

Courtesy of National Library of Scotland

From the Watercolour World

Location

Elgin Cathedral, Elgin, Scotland

Country