Alexandria, Alexandria Governorate, Egypt
Attributed name: George Henry Hutton
This pencil drawing, of the north-west aspect of Elgin Cathedral, Moray, bears the words 'Pan Port, the gate on the left', after the title. Hutton himself probably drew it. The manses of the secular canons grouped around the cathedral, within the precinct, enclosed by a stone wall, which had four gates. Between 1820 and 1840, Elgin expanded and the authorities demolished the other three ports, or gates. The only gate that still survives is the Pans Port, 'the gate on the left'.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 1] > Elginshire (Moray)
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]