Templeogue House, Templeogue, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
This undated drawing is by 'Capt. Grose's assistant'. Captain Francis Grose (1731-91), was an antiquary and author whose work features prominently in the Hutton Collection. His assistant, Thomas Cocking, was also responsible for a few drawings in the collection. This is one of three pictures relating to New Abbey in the collection, but apparently the only one drawn by Cocking. The village of New Abbey in Kirkcudbrightshire takes its name from the Cistercian abbey founded there in 1273 by Devorgilla, Lady of Galloway, in memory of her husband John Balliol (father of the Scottish King of the same name). She called it 'New Abbey' to distinguish it from Dundrennan Abbey, which is also in Kirkcudbrightshire. Although the village has retained the name New Abbey, the abbey itself is now 'Sweetheart Abbey', a name coined by the monks as a tribute to Devorgilla 's kindness and charity.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Kircudbrightshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]