Dalkey Castle, Dalkey, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Attributed name: George Henry Hutton
This sketch depicts Terregles Church (alternative name, Terregles Queir) and its graveyard, which is located two miles north-west of Dumfries. Although the name of the artist has not been included on the drawing, it is quite likely to have been George Hutton himself. The parish church at Terregles is especially associated with Lady Agnes Herries, whose burial aisle became part of the church building itself in 1588. The churchyard at Terregles contains many monuments from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and has links with a famous statue of John of Holywood, who was a famous mathematician, astronomer and theologian during the early-thirteenth century. The Hutton Collection contains two drawings of this statue.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Kircudbrightshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]