Templeogue House, Templeogue, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
This is a sketch of the Weigh House, Edinburgh. The Weigh House stood in Edinburgh's West Bow, in the centre of Castlehill Street where it intersects with Lawnmarket and Johnston Terrace. In this quick sketch, the artist has created a sense of the bustling city by including a human figure and passing traffic. Another name for the Weigh House was the Butter Tron, as it was where butter and cheese were on sale. The English destroyed the first weigh house in 1384, but the Town Council built a new one in 1614. However, Cromwell's troops destroyed the second building in 1650. The building shown here dates from 1660. It finally disappeared in 1822 in order to widen the road for King George IV's visit.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Midlothian
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]