Sword's Round Tower, Swords Glebe, Swords, County Fingal, Republic of Ireland
Attributed name: George Henry Hutton
This sketch, drawn in 1781, shows the ruins of Fala Luggie Tower, which is located on Fala Moor, close to the village of Fala, in Midlothian. Although the name of the artist has not been included on the drawing, it is quite likely to have been Hutton himself. While known as Fala 'Tower', this building is likely to be the ruins of a twelfth-century monastery. Built by monks of the Augustinian Order, this monastery was the highest in Britain, at 370 metres above sea level. Built on the site of an ancient Roman road, the monastery was located beside what was then the main land route into Scotland. Fala Tower is mentioned in verse eight (canto IV) of Sir Walter Scott's epic poem, 'The Lay of the Last Minstrel'.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Midlothian
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]