91a - Monastery of the Holy Cross, Peebles, W. View
From the collection
This drawing of a west view of the Church of the Holy Cross, later known as Cross Kirk, Peebles, dates from 4th October 1800, but is unsigned by the artist. There are at least seven other drawings or sketches of this same church in the Hutton Collection. The title of this drawing refers to Peebles Cross Church or Kirk by its pre-Reformation name. Alexander III of Scotland founded the Church in 1261. It is the Church of the Holy Rood or Cross after an ancient cross that stood on the same site. In the fifteenth century, a Trinitarian monastery joined the Church. It is almost certain that the monastery's life ended with the Reformation of 1560, when the Cross Kirk temporarily became the parish church of Peebles.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Peeblesshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]