93 - Cross Church, Peebles - Oct 1800 - North West View
Attributed name: George Henry Hutton
From the collection
Although this sketch of a north-west view of Peebles Cross Church is undated and unsigned by the artist, it is likely that this was one of George Henry Hutton's own works. It is one of a number of views of Peebles Cross Church in the Hutton Collection. Peebles Cross Church was so-called because it was founded on a site where an ancient stone cross once stood, slightly to the north of the medieval burgh of Peebles. Legend has it that an urn containing the relics of the martyr St Nicholas was also found at the site, and consequently, the church was dedicated to St Nicholas by its founder Alexander III. A niche in the south wall of the church represents the reputed last resting place of St Nicholas's relics.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Peeblesshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]