Mount Etna, Sicily, Italy
Pen and brown ink, brown wash heightened with scratching out on laid paper
11.9 by 23.6 cm, 4 ½ x 9 ¼ inches
The Church of St. Mary Redcliffe was built between the 12th and 15th centuries by wealthy Bristol merchants. Built at the port, sailors would pray there for safe passage before a journey and give thanks on their return. This drawing shows the church without a spire. It was struck by lightning in 1446 and not reconstructed until 1872.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]