Lyttelton, Canterbury, New Zealand
Clipper ship 'Evangeline' at sea
From the collection
Evangeline''s gross tonnage of 985 made her one of the biggest iron sailing ships of her day. However, she needed constant repair and was off Lloyd's Register between 1869 and 1874. In 1876 she was purchased by R H Dixon of Liverpool and she was run by this firm until 1880 (see H. Parker's unpublished catalogue of the Macpherson collection). Here she is shown in port-broadside view under sail in a choppy sea, identifiable via her name painted along both the bow and rear cabin side. She flies a red ensign from the gaff of her mizzen, and a house flag at her maintop which is certainly not that of Dixon’s and is presumably (given the “C” in the upper-left square) that of her owners from 1853-68, Clint & Co. of Liverpool; they were not, however, included when the first comprehensive survey of house flags was published (by Lloyd’s) in 1882, so a positive identification has not been possible.
Credit Line: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]