Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Richardson Senior was referred to during his lifetime as ’The Father of the Fine Arts in Newcastle’ He succeeded his father as Master of St Andrew’s Charity School, Newcastle in 1806, while also working as a drawing master. In 1813 he resigned to devote himself to art alone and organised many of the earliest art exhibitions in Newcastle. He remained in Newcastle all his life but travelled and exhibited widely, mostly British topographical views. Interestingly his depiction of Conwy Castle looking north up the estuary of the Conwy river does not show Telford’s suspension bridge across the river which was built in 1822-26. The catalyst for this picture which dates from 1847 may have been the construction of the railway bridge, next to Telford’s bridge, which began in 1846.