Windsor Great Park, Berkshire, England
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
A pen and watercolour drawing of a two-storied pavilion in a railed enclosure, with an external flight of steps to an upper viewing platform or balcony. On each side of the building is a sentry in uniform. In the background are tents and horses. With a large tree in the background on the left. Mounted with a pink and grey wash lined border, and inscribed below on the mount, 'A Design for the Kings Booth on Ascot Heath by T Sandby'. In pencil on the mount is the lot number 3 - 5/5.
Thomas Sandby was an architect and Deputy Ranger for Windsor Great Park and completed designs for various royal architectural projects. The first permanent Royal Stand at Ascot was erected by John Nash in 1822.
Descriptive Medium: 'Pencil, pen and ink and watercolour', 'pencil, pen and ink', 'watercolour painting'