Reinhardsbrunn Castle, Friedrichroda, Thüringen, Germany
August 27, 1863
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour and stopping out.
Drawn from the southern banks of the River Moselle, this view looks towards the Ehrenbreitstein fortress situated over 350 feet above the Rhine River. The Fortress, one of the largest in Europe at the time, was built by the Prussian Army between 1817 and 1832, after the defeat of Napoleon in 1815, as part of the defence of Koblenz.
The twin towers of the Church of St. Castor in Klobenz can be seen on the north bank, situated at the confluence of the two rivers.