Government House, Hobart, Australia
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
A view, engraved as a print published by Dickinson in 1830, from the north-west corner of the Queen Anne Court looking diagonally across the Grand Square towards the Painted Hall. The ground layout is much as today, with the York stone apron to the buildings, gravelled roadways and central lawns, with chained bollards around. Left to right are a blind Greenwich Pensioner wearing trousers rather than breeches and with a stick; two Pensioners, one in back view carrying a canteen and the other with a left peg-leg and telescope, looking right; the central statue of George II (Rysbrack, 1735) with a coach and pair beyond driving up the east side of the King Charles Court towards the Governor's residence (now the Admiral's House), outside the door of which are two halberdiers on guard with sentry boxes to left and right. Further right a black Pensioner in a round hat is talking to a white one, with another in a coat. On the far side of the King Charles court (right) can be seen the south wall and terminal pavilion of the riverfront walk, which used to separate the Grand Square area here from the western drying yard on the far side of the King Charles Court. An unidentified large building stands beyond the pavilion. The Union flag flying over the Governor's residence in King Charles is incorrectly shown as pre-1801 pattern. The drawing is signed 'W. P. Kay' by the bollard, left centre.
Credit Line: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London