Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Despite the spelling of the ship name, Impruris, in the inscription, it is thought the vessel in the centre is 'Imperieuse' in early 1808 while she was being refitted in Port Mahon. She is shown with her upper masts removed. 'Imperieuse' was engaged in operations on the coast of Minorca at this time, under the command of Captain Lord Cochrane. There are various other vessels both large and small in the scene. Warehouse-type buildings on the wharves are visible in the background.
Credit Line: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London