© Royal Collection Trust | Licence: All Rights Reserved
© Royal Collection Trust | Licence: All Rights Reserved

Indians with sleighs and huskies (untitled)

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

DM 160: Distant view of Fort Garry, which was the principal Hudson Bay post, moving to the west. Signed at lower right.

Descriptive Medium: 'watercolour painting'

Image Licence

Image Credit

© Royal Collection Trust

From the Watercolour World

Location

Upper Fort Garry, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Country

Tww Comment

Fort Garry, also known as Upper Fort Garry, was a Hudson's Bay Company trading post at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers in what is now downtown Winnipeg. Fort Garry was named after Nicholas Garry, deputy governor of the Hudson's Bay Company. It served as the centre of fur trade within the Red River Colony. In 1826, a severe flood destroyed the fort. It was rebuilt in 1835 by the HBC and named Upper Fort Garry to differentiate it from "the Lower Fort," or Lower Fort Garry, 32 km downriver, which was established in 1831. Although only the main gate of the fort remains today, the name "Fort Garry" lives on through various institutions and businesses.