Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Item is on fol. 23, page 45, recto, and consists of an image of Lunenburg Harbour.
Lunenburg Harbour is located on the south shore in Lunenburg County. It is located on a peninsula to the west of Mahone Bay. Although Mi'kmaq and then Acadians resided in the area originally, the first formal colonization of Lunenburg began in June 1753 when a group of German, Swiss, and Monbéliard French immigrants, called "Foreign Protestants" settled in the area to strengthen the British presence in Nova Scotia. It was named in honour of the Duke of Braunschweig-Luneburg who became King of England in 1727.
Granted freeport status in 1839, the harbour determined Lunenburg's history and prosperity. For more than two hundred years, shipbuilding and fishing influenced the economy and it became an important seaport and shipbuilding center. Lunenburg is a haven for traditional shipbuilding skills, such as those that built the famous Bluenose, a symbol of Canada's sailing supremacy in the early twentieth century. The town of Lunenburg is a (UNESCO) World Heritage site because it is the best, extant example of a planned British Colonial settlement in North America.
Bland depicted the landscape and geography of the area. A ship is in the mid ground sailing to the harbour as a deer looks on in the foreground.
For full details please visit the collection website.