Nyon, Vaud, Switzerland
Michaelovski, Norton Sound R.A.
From the collection
This watercolour depicts Mikhaielovsk, a fort built by Lieutenant Tebenkof in Norton Sound for the Russians in the ealry 1830's which he called Mikhaielovsk. In 1843 the settlement consisting of a barrack, a house for the managing agent, two magazines, a shed, bath-house and kitchen. The name was later changed to St. Michael. The fort has been painted in the background and a paddlewheller has been painted on the water in the foreground.
Published Material: Journal of the Royal Geographical Society, London, 1968
Descriptive Medium: Watercolour on paper
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]