Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Shows Wesleyan Mission Society's boarding school at Ngamotu, called the Grey Institute, with Paritutu rock in the background, fenced area and bush in the foreground
The school was called the Grey Institute after Governor Grey. At the date of this view it was run by Rev. John Whiteley and provided instruction mainly for Maori boys. The buildings were removed after 1874 and later demolished.
Compare preliminary sketches in Warre's sketchbook E294, p.46-7 & p.58-9, entitled Grey Institute, Taranaki and The Grey Institute & Sugar Loaf Islands, negs 126167 1/2 & 126174 1/2
Other Titles - General
further information for this record is available on the collection website