Courtesy of the National Trust Collection at Lacock Abbey | Licence: All Rights Reserved
Courtesy of the National Trust Collection at Lacock Abbey | Licence: All Rights Reserved

Old Church, Mardale, Westmorland

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

Mounted watercolour of a church set in amongst trees. In the bottom left is Rosamond Talbot’s monogram and dated 1905. In the bottom left corner of the mount is a white sticky label marked ‘Old Church, Mardale, Westmorland. RC Talbot £1.1.0’.

Image Licence

Image Credit

Courtesy of the National Trust Collection at Lacock Abbey

From the Watercolour World

Location

Haweswater Reservoir, Cumbria, England

Country

Tww Comment

Most of the village's buildings were blown up by the Royal Engineers, who used them for demolition practice. The exception was the small church, which could accommodate only 75 people, and had an all-ticket congregation for its last service. It was then dismantled in April 1937, stone by stone, and the stones and windows were re-used to build the water take-off tower which is situated along the Western shore of the reservoir. village was submerged in the late 1930s when the water level of the valley's lake, Haweswater, was raised to form Haweswater Reservoir by Manchester Corporation