Palace of Westminster, London, England
The Old Market Place, Bath
From the collection
This shows the old Guildhall, dating from the 1620s, shortly before its demolition. It was the headquarters of city administration, the Mayor’s office and the council’s meeting place. It also hosted banquets, balls and public meetings. Behind the old Guildhall, to the left, the first wall of its replacement is just visible. Because of political intrigue, it remained like this for seven years until work finally resumed in 1775. The statues of Old King Cole and King Edgar in the niches under the gables were moved to number 8 Bath Street, and are still there today.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]