Fort St Aubin, Jersey
The Old Town Square
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
From the Collection
Watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour and stopping out. This is a view of the Old Town Square in Prague, with The Old Town Hall and its famous Astronomical Clock on the left. The imposing Gothic Church of Our Lady before Tyn overlooks the square. The church is still missing its northern spire which was burnt down in a fire in 1819. A new spire was re-constructed during repairs to the church in the latter half of the 19th century. The watercolour also shows the pillar of the Virgin Mary in the centre of the square. The column was erected after the successful defence of the city against the Swedes in 1648 but was pulled down by the townspeople in 1918 who saw the pillar as a symbol of the ousted Habsburg regime.
Boys first visited Prague in 1842 and he exhibited nine views of the city between 1843 and 1862. For another version of this view dated 1860, see James Roundell, Thomas Shotter Boys, 1974, pl. 98, p.202.
From the Watercolour World