Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Varley visited Yorkshire in the summer of 1803 and the places he visited and the sketches he produced during that visit provided inspiration throughout his life. The present subject shows Ouse Bridge from the south, with St William’s Chapel on the end of the bridge. St William’s Chapel was turned into apartments following the Reformation. The bridge in this watercolour with its wide central span, was opened in 1566 and demolished in 1810. The bridge which currently spans the river was its replacement, finished in 1821.