Ponte di Rialto, Venice, Italy
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
A view of the Queen's House from the low ground of Greenwich Park to the south-west, with the dome of the Queen Mary Court visible immediately to the left of the House and the dome of the King William Court just seen above a tree on the left. Between them a ship can just be seen heading down river. The tree itself grows behind a low wall stretching from the left towards the south-west corner of the House, where it breaks back north to meet that corner. This was the arrangement before the House was adapted and extended for the Royal Naval Asylum, whose colonnades were added from 1807, and the Park wall replaced about 1809-10 by the lower ha-ha wall and ditch completed in the form which still largely survive. The wall shown here was 25 feet from the house: the present one 75 feet, the extra land having been obtained from the Park by Royal Warrant in 1808. Less explicable is the visible west bridge archway. This was bricked up in the 18th century, with windows inserted, as shown in the 1804 print.The season is probably early summer, with a fine cloudscape overall which suggests it may be someone in the circle of David Cox senior, but not by him. The drawing predates the building of the Queen's House colonnades, begun in 1807 as part of the additions for the Royal Naval Asylum (later the Royal Hospital School), when the House was also fully divided from the Park by the existing wall and ha-ha. This rules out James Holland who painted somewhat similar style views of the Park in the 1830s.