Courtesy of a private collector | Licence: All Rights Reserved
Courtesy of a private collector | Licence: All Rights Reserved

Ruined bridge at Avignon

Date

April 1874

Artist

Collection

Acknowledgements

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

This is a page from a sketchbook belonging to Robert Elwes (14"x 8" with a marbled cover). Dated 1874, the watercolours record scenes in southern France and Corsica. [Robert Elwes Marbled Sketchbook No. 5]

Image Licence

Image Credit

Courtesy of a private collector

From the Watercolour World

Location

Pont Saint-Bénézet, Boulevard de la Ligne, Avignon, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France

Country

Tww Comment

The bridge spanned the Rhône between Avignon and Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. The first bridge was built between 1177 and 1185 but was destroyed during the siege of Avignon by Louis VIII of France in 1226. Beginning in 1234 the bridge was rebuilt. Only when rebuilt was the bridge constructed entirely in stone. The bridge fell into a state of disrepair during the 17th century. By 1644 the bridge was missing four arches, and a flood in 1669 swept away more of the structure. Since then, its surviving arches have successively collapsed or been demolished, and only four of the arches remain.