Furnival's Inn, London, England
between 1794 and 1800
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Sir Paul Pindar (1565?–1650) was a wealthy merchant and diplomat. The façade seen here was built c.1599-1600 and formed part of a larger mansion in which Pindar lived and conducted business. The house survived the Great Fire of 1666 and the street-facing rooms at the front [seen here] became a tavern called ‘Sir Paul Pindar's Head’. In 1890, the property was pulled down to make way for the expansion of Liverpool Street Station. However, the façade was saved from demolition and donated to the Victoria and Albert Museum where it can be seen today.