Brooke House - originally a residence of friends of King Henry VIII - before it was converted in 1758 for use as a private 'madhouse'. It is linked to the Monro family of physicians who oversaw practices at Bedlam.
Henry VIII acquired Brooke House in 1535 from Henry Percy, sixth earl of Northumberland. It was briefly handed over to Thomas Cromwell and served as a residence for the king's friends and ancestors. In 1758 it was converted into a private madhouse. It is linked to the Monros, a family of physicians who controlled Bedlam.
The Watercolour World | Registered in England & Wales with the Charity Commission in England & Wales (CCEW) with charity number 1167968 | Company no. 10179857 | Registered address: Poplar Hall Cottage, Burns Green, Benington, Stevenage, SG2 7DB