Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
The picture was formerly in the collection of Thomas Russell Crampton (1816-1888), a distinguished railway engineer. Crampton was a consultant during the building of the Ottoman railways in the 1850's. He also gave his name to `Crampton's Patent` in the field of steam engine design and received a gold medal at the Great Exhibition in 1851 for his locomotive `The Liverpool`.
The Ottoman Railway Company was established in 1856, the first section to be completed was opened in October 1858. Kemer Station, in Izmir, at the head, is the oldest railway station in Turkey, and the railway was the first in Anatolia, carrying figs from the fertile plains to the South East of Izmir. Building work continued until 1912 but the company was acquired by the Republic of Turkey in 1935. The line eventually ran from Smyrna (Izmir) to Egridir. Medium: watercolour & pencil heightened with bodycolour