Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Pen and brown ink and grey wash over pencil
16.8 by 33.3cm, 6 by 13 inches
This shows the Trinity Chain Pier at Newhaven shortly after it was built by Sir Samuel Brown (1774-1851) in 1821. It was destroyed in a storm in 1898. The village of Newhaven is beyond the bridge and the island of Inchkeith is visible in the Firth of Forth.
The artist was the daughter of Sir Richard Hoare, 1st Bt and brother of Sir Richard Colt Hoare. She married firstly Sir T.D. Acland, 9th Bt. And secondly in 1795, Captain the Hon. Mathew Fortescue, R.N., brother of the first Earl Fortescue. She was an enthusiastic and talented amateur artist who painted in Italy, the Pyrenees, Scotland and the Lake District and supplied continental views for her friend and teacher Francis Nicholson to copy.