Hyères, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Untitled [Fort Yukon]
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
From the Collection
Although this water-colour has no title it has been identified as Fort Yukon. Fort Yukon was originally established by Alexander Hunter Murray for the Hudson's Bay Company in 1847 at the junction of the Yukon and Porcupine (Rat) Rivers. According to Whymper, Fort Yukon was rebuilt in 1864 and was in an unfinished state in 1867. The new fort was built about a mile below the original site. The post, believed to be in Alaskan Territory, was occupied by Hudson's Bay Company in agreement with the Russian American Company. In 1867 the United States bought Alaska from the Russians and, in 1869, when the U.S. Engineer Corps had established that Fort Yukon was 75 miles within the boundary of Alaska, the Hudson's Bay Company was obliged to cease trading there.
Published Material: Journal of the Royal Geographical Society, London, 1968
Descriptive Medium: Watercolour on paper