Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Bird's eye view of the East India Docks at Blackwall, with extensive view of the river and country. 1808. Soft-ground etching and aquatint, hand coloured.
Additional Makers: Print maker - William Daniell; Publisher - William Daniell
Inscription: Lettered below image with title followed by "The East India Docks are solely for the accommodation of Shipping employed by the English East India Company. They consist of two spacious basons; on the quays of the largest of which all the produce imported by the Company from the East is unloaded; & in the other all Vessels that are outward bound receive their cargoes. The dimensions of the former is 1410 feet in length, by 560 in breadth, & will contain eighty four Ships of eight hundred tons each; the latter is 780 feet in length, by 520 in breadth, & the depth of both is 26 feet: the whole superficial extent of water, including the entrance, being thirty acres & a half. The smaller bason is an enlargement of one formerly in the possession of Mr Perry, but the other was constructed by the East India Dock Company; & was begun in the month of August 1803 & Open'd in Augst 1806. The East India Docks may be considered as placed at the eastern limits of the City of London. A chain of connected streets already extend to the Village of Blackwall, adjoining to which these great marine depots are situated. Many new streets are already begun in its vicinity, the whole plain is scattered with buildings, used either as Dwellings of Manufactories & the several newly constructed roads leading to these & the West India Docks will doubtless at no distant period be the future chief streets of this part of the British Metropolis". With publication line: "Drawn, Engraved & Published Octr 1st. 1808 by William Daniell, No. 9 Cleveland Street, Fitzroy Square, London"
For full details please visit the collection website