Gulf of Naples, Italy
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
This is a view of Bardon Hill as seen from Coleorton Hall. Constable painted an oil of the same view, now in the Yale Center for British Art. The Beaumonts acquired Coleorton Hall in 1426 and it remained in the family until sold to the Coal Board in 1948. Sir George Beaumont had the original house rebuilt in 1804-8 by George Dance the Younger and he undertook alterations to the surroundings landscape, advised by the poet William Wordsworth and his sister, Dorothy (who stayed for long periods on the estate), as well as by Uvedale Price and possibly by William Sawrey Gilpin.
Beaumont became interested in art at an early stage, studying drawing under Alexander Cozens, whilst a school boy at Eton. He continued to paint throughout his life, undertook regular sketching tours and exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy between 1794 and 1825. He undertook a tour to Italy in 1782-3, and was at the centre of the British artists working in Italy at the time.
Not only a gifted amateur, Beaumont became a leading patron of artists and poets, amassing a notable collection, which on his death formed part of the newly formed collection of the National Gallery, for which he was an ardent campaigner.