Courtesy of Nova Scotia Museum | Licence: Public Domain
Courtesy of Nova Scotia Museum | Licence: Public Domain

View of Prince's Lodge with Bedford Basin in background

Date

1887

Artist

Probably by Florence Rogers

Collection

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

One framed watercolour, view of Prince's Lodge with Bedford Basin in background, signed "F. Rogers/1887". Artist was probably Florence Mary Rogers, wife of Dr. Henry Rogers of Halifax, NS.

Inscription

Signed in lower left corner: "F. Rogers. / 1887"

Image Licence

Image Credit

Courtesy of Nova Scotia Museum

From the Watercolour World

Location

Prince's Lodge, Rockingham, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Country

Tww Comment

The small, round music room is all that remains of the "Friar's Cell", the rural estate of the Sir John Wentworth, the Lieutenant-Governor of the colony. It stands on a knoll overlooking the Bedford Basin. It was named Prince's Lodge when Prince Edward, Duke of Kent resided there and redesigned it while in Halifax from 1794 to 1800.