Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
Watercolour over pencil 37.6 by 56.9cm., 14 3/4 by 22 1/4 inches. This shows the old town hall of Leominster, sited at the junction of High St. and Broad St. It was built in 1633 by the King's carpenter John Abel and served as the town hall with an open-air market beneath. In 1856, it was moved to its current site in a park outside the town centre and exists today as Grange Court, containing local authority offices. This is one of a group of street scenes by Varley which originated from his 1798 tour to North Wales with George Arnald. Others include two views of the High St., Conway in the Victoria and Albert Museum (see C.M. Kauffmann, John Varley, 1984, nos. 4 and 5, ill.). A smaller version of this watercolour, dated 1801, is in Hereford City Museum and Art Gallery (see Andrew Wilton and Anne Lyles, The Great Age of British Watercolours 1750-1880, 1993, no.316, ill. plate 72). One of the two watercolours was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1802, no.965.