Highgate, London, England
A watercolour and bodycolour drawing of a view of the north front of Windsor Castle, seen from Isherwood's Brewhouse on Datchet Lane. A courtyard of wood and brick stables and outbuildings. In the foreground, horses and carts with barrels, a man with a wheelbarrow and a woman with a bucket. Smoke is billowing from a chimney on the left. Signed 'P. Sandby' at lower right. Attached is a strip of paper cut from the mount or from an old frame, inscribed in ink in Paul Sandby's hand, 'View of Windsor Castle from Mr Isherwood Brewhouse in Datchet Lane'. In pencil, 2-D (?second day) and a collector's mark, Lugt 2836.
The brewhouse in Datchet Lane was owned by the Isherwood family for much of the eighteenth century. The site was still in use as a brewery at the start of the twentieth century. The stables in the middle ground were replaced in 1799 by Travers' College; these buildings are now used by St. George's School.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]