Alexander Turnbull Library | Licence: All Rights Reserved
Alexander Turnbull Library | Licence: All Rights Reserved

Waiparu-paru. Mohaka. Mouth of Mohaka. Sims' Public House in foreground. Riddle's woolshed and craft in the distance.

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

Shows Marion Sim, wife of John Sim, feeding horses. The public house, or hotel was run by brothers John and Andrew Sim.

According to N.Z. Historic Places, no. 46, Dec 1993, p. 17 "There has been a public house at Mohaka since 1859 or before. The first was established by John and Marion Sim on the south side of the mouth of the Mohaka river, opposite the large Maori community centred round the Te Huke and Hiruharama Pa. In 1859, when the postal service was established between Napier and Wairoa, the pub was already there. The Sims were running a ferry and operated the post office from the pub. They appear to have been recently married and to have emigrated from Scotland."

Other Titles - Waiparuparu

further information for this record is available on the collection website

Image Licence

Image Credit

Alexander Turnbull Library

From the Watercolour World

Location

Mohaka, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

Country