Faculté de Médecine de Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Watercolour visualisation of Noble's Hospital and Grounds
Thomas William Cubbon
From the collection
Thomas William Cubbon was an architect with the Douglas firm of Bleakley & Cubbon who designed the first Noble’s Hospital building for Douglas. This watercolour painting, dated September 1887, shows the proposed hospital. Cubbon has given us an impression of the building minus the existing backdrop. The outcome is a watercolour which gives the impression of an idyllic, rural location for the new hospital, one which provides a salubrious environment for modern health provision. The scale and incline of Crellin’s Hill and the gardens in front of the hospital appear to have been modified to provide an even more enhanced visual setting for the building.
The hospital was funded as a philanthropic gesture by Henry Bloom Noble, the Douglas businessman and merchant who used his wealth to support many charitable causes on the Isle of Man. The hospital opened in 1888 and continued on this site until 1912 when a new building on westmoreland Road was opened. In 1922 the old hospital became the Manx Museum.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]