Templeogue House, Templeogue, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
This drawing is dated 1783 but is unsigned by the artist. This is one of several images relating to the Gowrie House in the Hutton Collection. In each title, its name is 'Gowrie Castle', although the building was a baronial mansion rather than a castle, and went by the name 'Gowrie House'. Situated on the banks of the Tay in the centre of Perth, Gowrie House was the town residence of the Earls of Gowrie, who also owned nearby Ruthven Castle (now Huntingtower Castle). In the seventeenth century the town assumed ownership of Gowrie House, which was demolished in 1809 having served latterly as a military barracks.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Perthshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]