Courtesy of National Library of Scotland | Licence: CC BY 4.0
Courtesy of National Library of Scotland | Licence: CC BY 4.0

143b - Elevation of the front or south side divested of some recent defacements & erections

Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]

From the Collection

Description

This drawing is one of several different studies of St Duthac's Collegiate Church by James Shand in the Hutton Collection, and is dated September 20th 1815. Tain is thought to be one of the oldest continuous human settlements in Scotland, its name signifying that it may have been the site of a Norse council or parliament. St Duthac, or St Duthus, is reputed to have been born in the town about 1000, and although he died in Ireland, his relics were returned to Tain in 1253, and a small chapel was built near the seashore to house them. Another church dedicated to St Duthac was built in 1360 in the centre of Tain, and became St Duthac's Collegiate Church in 1487.

Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Ross-shire

More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.

Image Licence

Image Credit

Courtesy of National Library of Scotland

From the Watercolour World

Location

St Duthus Collegiate Church, Tain, Scotland

Country