Bective Abbey, Bective, County Meath, Republic of Ireland
Associated name: Francis Grose
This drawing of the south-east view of St Mary's Collegiate Church, Haddington, East Lothian appeared in volume two of 'The Antiquities of Scotland' (1792), by Captain Francis Grose. It shows St Mary's Collegiate Church from the south-east. The artist has also chosen to detail much of the surrounding area in this sketch, including the River Tyne, the sixteenth-century Nungate Bridge and part of the town. The first Franciscan friary in Scotland was founded in the early-thirteenth century. Others soon followed and by the end of the century there were several throughout Scotland, including one in Haddington. Although the artist has chosen to title the sketch 'Franciscan Church', this ecclesiastical building is more familiarly known as St Mary's Collegiate Church. Built in the fourteenth century, St Mary's is not only the largest parish church in Scotland but is also considered one of the three great pre-Reformation churches of the Lothians: St Giles in Edinburgh and St Michael's in Linlithgow are the other two.
Collective title: Hutton Drawings > [Volume 2] > Haddingtonshire
More details about the album and its contents can be found on the collection website.
A comment or a correction? We're always pleased to know more: [email protected]