St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England
early 19th century
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
The histories of this room and of the adjoining Blue Velvet Room are closely entwined. In the 1780s there was a dressing room and bedroom on the site of this room, with neo-classical painted decoration carried out under the direction of Henry Holland. Subsequently the two rooms were combined and a new scheme of decoration consisting of blue velvet in gilt panels, fleur-de-lis-patterned silk and carpet was installed between 1811 and 1814, in sequence with and by the same suppliers as that in the adjoining Blue Velvet Room. At the same time, a French chimneypiece was moved here from the Blue Velvet Room. On the walls were hung some of George IV's extensive collection of Dutch paintings, including works by Cuyp, Ruisdael, Wouwermans, Van de Velde and Maes. In the centre stands one of a pair of Boulle marquetry tables by Thomas Parker, purchased in 1814, and either side may be seen the pair of Boulle medal-cabinets.
Catalogue entry from Royal Treasures, A Golden Jubilee Celebration, London 2002
Alternate title: 'The Blue Velvet Closet, Carlton House.'
Descriptive Medium: 'Watercolour and bodycolour with gum arabic over pencil', 'pencil, bodycolour, gum arabic', 'watercolour painting'