North Bay, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England
Fishing Boats off Scarborough, North Yorkshire
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
From the Collection
Watercolour over traces of pencil heightened with bodycolour
17.4 x 47.9 cm, 6 3/4 x 18 3/4 inches
This shows the lighthouse at Scarborough which was built in 1806 by a surveyor called Nixon on Vincent Pier built 1752. Unusually for a busy port, there is a no record of a lighthouse at Scarborough prior to this date. In December 1914, the town of Scarborough came under fire from two German battlecruisers and the last shell they fired landed directly on the lighthouse destroying it. The replacement and present lighthouse was officially opened in 1931.