Auckland Domain, New Zealand
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
A view of Ngaheia station, home of Joseph Marsden Williams. The front and left side of the house can be seen, situated on a raised level amongst mature trees and bush. The verandah uprights are covered in wisteria and a woman is pruning them. Around to the left a man and woman are standing, towards the back of the house. A path winds around from the foreground towards the front of the homestead
Ngaheia Station, Kawakawa, consisted of 1800 acres, and formed part of the original Pakaraka Estate. The Waitangi river had its source on the estate and flowed through the larger portion of it. The station possessed numerous volcanic hillocks, the Waiotapu Falls and a natural spring of mineral water.
The Ngaheia homestead was owned by Joseph Marsden Williams, the youngest son of Henry Williams. The house, built ca 1866, is on a recorded archaeological site (Pa) and is a schedule 2 building on the Historic Places Trust register. The garden has many original and old plantings and some believed to be planted by Joseph Williams, including an oak, a Bunya Bunya, an elm, pohutukawa and two large Norfolk Island pines.
Other Titles - Joseph
Other Titles - Alfred
further information for this record is available on the collection website