Perry's Dock, Blackwall Reach
Comments? Do please tell us: [email protected]
From the Collection
Pen and brown and grey ink over pencil. Blackwall is a district of Poplar near the Isle of Dogs and the mouth of the Lea river. The Blackwall shipyard, opened in the late sixteenth century continued to repair and build ships, particularly for the East India Company, into the eighteenth century but did not finally close until 1980. A version of this watercolour inscribed `Perrys Dock Black Wall' was illustrated in The Connoisseur, December 1946.